Friday 3 January 2014

What I Have Gotten Back

To give more of an insight as to why I do what I do, I thought I would give you a glimpse inside.

The athletes have always been my reason?  As an athlete I suffered through injuries that effected my performance and still effect my day to day life.  I had an amazing Chiropractor who helped me through so many of my injuries and led me to becoming an Athletic Therapist.  I wanted to be there for other athletes, to help them achieve their best.

As an Athletic Therapist you are there with your athletes through everything.  We see them at their highs and lows, both on the playing field or in their personal life.  It is not only the physical injuries that can cause devastating blows to athletes.  The loss of a girlfriend or boyfriend, family member or even teammate can effect athletes in so many ways.  Getting to know my athletes both on a physical, mental and personal level has helped me gain a better understanding of what makes them "tick".  Developing these relationships is what makes me good at what I do.  Knowing that I have been there for my athletes in their time of need means a lot.

The relationships that continue after athletes have graduated help me realize that I did make a difference in their lives.  Getting to watch my athletes get married and have babies, graduate from college or university, get drafted into the NHL and even play professional hockey gives me great joy.  Even greater joy is watching my children be able to enjoy the benefits of their mom being away for long hours and for all the time put in before they were born.


Being able to have my 6 week old son meet Nail Yakupov was pretty cool.  I know at the moment this picture means nothing to him but give it a few years and I think he will thank me.  I am also very grateful to Nail for being so wonderful and willing to hold him.  I am also grateful for C being so good at hanging out at the rink with me that weekend for the Stollery event.

The other picture is now one of my favorites.  Jaynen is a former athlete of mine who now plays for the Calgary Hitmen.  Q has decided that he is her favorite player and her Christmas present was getting to meet him.  For so many reasons I am grateful that this could happen.  Being able to watch Jaynen grow into an amazing young man who I am proud that my daughter looks up to is great.  The smile on both their faces says it all.

I hope that I have at helped all my former and current athletes in some way but mostly I would like you all to know that I am thank full for all of you.  You have all taught me something in some way, be it due to an injury, something you were studying on the bus or what music I should be listening to, you have taught me something.  Thank you.

This has been a short list of what I have gotten back because I truly have to be thankful for so many things in my life that I have gotten from sport and being an Athletic Therapist. Being able to help athletes achieve their goals, working through the physical struggles of injuries is just the tip of the iceberg as to what I have gotten back.

No comments:

Post a Comment